Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 9 (And I dub thee... )

Wendy:
Today was a nice day. We had some cloud cover and it made it not quite as hot. I finally decided on a name for my mustang. My family and I have been batting the idea around for a few days and came up with several ideas, my mom is the one who ended up coming up with the chosen name of Murphy. So there it is, Murphy is his new name.

I started the lesson today asking for disengaging and facing up as I approached him. I did some desensitizing and was able to halter and start on the leading fairly quickly today. He is following me off really good and getting softer and more relaxed about me approaching. The desensitizing is getting better and he’s not as spooky. I started teaching some lunging because he is still unsure about me being behind his drive line. I have lots of ideas of things I would like to do with him to help build his confidence. I am looking at having more time to spend with him in a few weeks. We have a spook proofing clinic going on here at the ranch for 10 days so it makes it hard to find as much time as I would like. Each day there is improvement and each day I like this horse more and more. I think my favorite part about him right now is his curiosity.