Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 15 (Lots of work a head…)

Wendy:
Each day I always ask Murphy to disengage and give me two eyes before I approach and attempt to halter him. It is something I do with even the best broke horse. It is a way to see what side of the paddock they woke up on and to see how willing and responsive they are. Each day I work on catching and haltering and each day I would have to do some work before he would allow me to put the halter on. Today is the first day I was able to put the halter on without much movement. I do believe that the last few days as disappointing as they were, were very important. Murphy has a lot of fear. I notice it in other ways when I am not involved in his training and he is just hanging out in his pen by himself. When there are new objects put into his pen, or we walk a horse by with a saddle on, there is no investigating; in fact he stays as far away from things as he can. He is very suspicious of anything new. I still have a ton of work to do, but I do believe that eventually it will pay off. I don’t think he will be an easy one to win over quickly like I initially thought and had hoped. The luck of the draw!!!!! Ha ha