Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Day 7 (Gaining Confidence)

Wendy:
Today I started out trying to just approach him without throwing the rope. I would get real close to getting it over his head and he would back off and get scared. I decided to try to rope him again and caught him on the 2nd throw. Hey, I may turn into a roper yet!!!! I was feeling like I lost a little ground at first, but he came around pretty quickly again. He’s such a neat little horse, still keeping that curiosity, and I can tell I am gaining his confidence more every day. I started teaching him to lead today and decided to go ahead and halter him and let him wear the halter while I worked with him. The leading ended up being surprisingly easy. It didn’t take much for him to learn to follow me off. I know it’s from building his trust all week. I am really trying to not be too hard on myself about not making more progress faster. I’m really trying to not make it about the competition, but about doing what’s right for my horse.