Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Day 55 through 66 (Riding Murphy & Singing His Praises)

Wendy:
I’ve started several new things with him and he is taking it all in stride. I’ve ridden him, clipped him with clippers, worked on his feet and a few other things. Unfortunately I have not worked with him everyday, but in spite of that he is doing well.

I can’t help but think how well he would do if I could work him more than an hour here and there. With a business to run, and a 16 month old son it is really hard to find all the time I want. I am just doing the best I can do and not worrying about the rest.

I really think Murphy is going to make someone a good horse. He has so many good attributes. With the number of days I have actually worked him, and how scared he started in the beginning, he is doing so well. We’ve had both Murphy and Diago about 60 days and I am pretty sure I would be lucky if I put a full 30 days on him. That really says a lot for him, to come so far in such a short amount of time. There were things I would try to do a month ago, that Murphy would have no part of, and I do them now and he calmly accepts them and does what I ask. I know a huge part of it is his confidence in me, but it is still soooo cool!!!!

I wonder how others in the Extreme Makeover Competiton are doing with their mustangs and if they are enjoying them as much as Steve and I are. It will sure be great to meet all of the trainers and horses and see the amazing things that I know they will be doing.

I have to be honest, I am so nervous about the competition. I don’t like to compete for the most part. I love teaching my horses to do cool stuff and I get a lot of pleasure out of helping others, but I hate being in the spot light. This will be really good for me. It’s been quite a while since I have shown in anything. Well enough for now -- I want to go ride Murphy before it gets too hot!!!!!